Monday, October 8, 2007

Panama Canal, Part Two

GATUN LAKE, SAN MIGUEL AND MIRAFLORES LOCKS

I took a break during the time we were anchored and went first to the Lido Deck to start working on the previous blog entry. While there I took a few photos of the scenery I could see. It’s hard to choose just a few pictures out of all I took because everywhere I looked I saw spectacular views. Here are some selected ones.

View 1 6579


Storm Clouds Gather 6581


My Favorite! 6583


After anchoring for 1-1/2 to 2 hours in Gatun Lake just outside the Gatun Locks, it was TSS’s turn to start moving through the lake toward the locks on the Pacific side of the canal. The scenery along the way was spectacular and included a couple of significant landmarks. I went inside in case of rain, got out my laptop and went to an inside room where I could see out the window as we moved along. I took several interesting photos through the window as we went. (There are some evidences of “glare” from the glass; sorry!)

View 6584


Bridge over tributary 6596


Dock on the shore 6595


When I looked up from the laptop and caught sight of this magnificent hill, I set a record for shutting down the laptop, grabbing my camera and making for the top deck to photograph it. Somehow I made it and got this great shot. There is something significant about this hill, that has been made into layers for a Canal purpose but I’m not sure if it marks the Continental Divide or is famous for another reason. We did pass the CD somewhere along the way.

Wonderful Hill 6602


Then the tug boat Darien showed up to guide us the rest of the way 6603


View of new bridge, with TSSers looking on 6611


Another interesting view 6618


Ah! The spectacular scenery! 6621


More 6625


Machines working on the new Canal Extension 6627


Juan Miguel Line Handlers waiting to come aboard TSS 6629


Juan Miguel Lock opening for TSS to enter 6632


JM Lock ready and waiting for TSS 6633


Line Handlers ready for action 6635


People on shore watching, waving, taking pictures of us while we do the same to them 6636


Tug Darien leads TSS into the Juan Miguel Lock 6637


Canal Line Handlers hangin’ loose, waiting to tie TSS to the mules 6638


Buveh and Slavka, the Gift Shop Girl, with Juan Miguel Lock in background 6642


Then it was time to get down to business going through the Juan Miguel Lock. The following series of photos show the process.

Tug reaches gate at far end of lock, clearing our way to enter 6643


TSS comes up behind the tug with the help of our new mules 6644


TSS in place in lock 6646


Line Handlers crossing foot bridge while water lowers in lock 6647


Water continues to lower in lock 6648


Close-up of mule; notice lines between it and TSS, it and the tug 6649


Water continues to lower to level of Juan Miguel Lake 6651


Lower 6652


And lower, and gates begin to open (see sliver of reflected light on water at gate opening) 6653


Gates open wider 6654

and wider 6655


Nearly wide open 6656



Wide open; tug goes through into Pacific waters 6657


Lock Gate flush against side of lock; edge of TSS close to wall of lock 6660


Mule going downhill, gently pulling TSS into the lake 6661


The tug Darien leading TSS out into lake 6666


Canal Line Handlers waiting to cast TSS loose 6668


It didn’t take long to cross Juan Miguel Lake and soon we were approaching the entrance to the two-lock Miraflores Locks. I took the following photo as we approached and then my camera batteries gave out! So, I didn’t get any photos of the process but I stayed there for the entire thing and loved every minute of it.

Approaching entrance to the first Miraflores Lock 6670


The absolute highlight of the entire event, however, was unexpectedly sighting the one thing that I wanted to see above all in Panama City. After sailing out of the locks and into Pacific waters, I was looking around at the scenery and marveling at it all when I suddenly looked to the left and saw, high on a hill and surrounded by lovely green trees, the unfinished Panama Temple of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints! It immediately struck me as familiar but it took a few minutes to realize what I was seeing, mainly because it was GREY whereas our new temples are always white. Then I realized what it was and that because it was still under construction, the white outer façade was not yet in place. The unique architecture was distinct, however, and I was thrilled beyond words. Nikki and a couple of other people took photos of it for me since my camera wasn’t functioning. Here it is! It was visible for at least ten minutes as we cruised along the channel leading out of the canal and others on deck at the time enjoyed seeing it, too.

Panama City Panama Temple of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, photo by Nikki, used with permission P1000646


The smaller structure with a red time roof near the side of the temple is a chapel, also under construction.

This ends the two-part series on TSS’s transit of the Panama Canal. Crossing the canal is something I’ve wanted to do ever since I was in elementary school and learned about the canal and saw a movie of a ship crossing the canal. I thought it would be wonderful! And now, fifty years later, I actually achieved that dream. It’s nice to know that even as one ages, thrilling events can (and do) take place in one’s life. I’m very grateful that wonderful things are still happening in my life.

No comments: